I use a wide range of psychological therapies to help people make sense of and find a way through emotional and physical distress. I believe that helpful therapy reconnects people with their own strengths and resources. The approaches that I might include in my work are:
- Psychodynamic therapy, an approach which considers early childhood and care giving experiences and how these influence current relationships with self and others
- Narrative therapy, as a way to think about which stories have become a way of expressing someone’s identity and how these have become obstacles in their life
- Systemic therapy, as an approach to think about family relationships and the roles of each family member in this system
- Social inequalities, as a way of thinking about socio-economic factors, like money, education, ethnicity and how these impact on people’s health and well-being
- Cognitive behavioural therapy, to identify the relationship between thoughts, feelings and behaviours.
Consequently I am an integrative practitioner which means that after the initial consultation, I tailor psychological interventions to people’s personal circumstances.
I have a special interest in offering psychological interventions for physical health conditions, such as living with a cancer diagnosis, chronic pain conditions, medically unexplained symptoms, weight management, readjustments following surgery or physical trauma. There are a wide range of therapy approaches that can improve the quality of people’s life and well-being. These can be structured approaches, primarily based on cognitive behavioural approaches, like Acceptance Commitment Therapy or Compassionate Mind Therapy.
I have focused my research on young people’s experiences of stress and mental health in both secondary schools and at University. I have also published my research on the application of psychological formulations in teams working for the National Health Services.
As part of my training, I have completed a degree in Psychology (BSc(Hons)) and doctorate training in Clinical Psychology (DClinPsych). I am registered with the Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC) and my registration number is PYL35259.
Mobile: 07786254389 or